Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Camera or the Lens?


Everyone asks me, when they are interested in photography, the same question. Where should I spend my money? The camera or the lens? Almost every photographer will tell you that you should put your money towards the lens. Why? Ultimately it will lead to better pictures. Now this is a bit convoluted. Lenses can cost from a few dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. The same goes for cameras. However if I tell you to buy a lens first, then the camera, then your next question is what lens.

There are many lenses that you can buy. They will depend on the style of photography that you shoot. If you like landscapes, then a wide angle lens will be great. If you like to take pictures of animals in the distance, then a telephoto will be good. If you just like to take pictures of everything, then a standard zoom lens will be fine. 

There are also tilt shift lenses, primes, and much more to get into. However, as a person looking for equipment you need to ask yourself what will I be shooting. I often tell people to get a standard zoom lens first. Then expand. Generally the best camera companies will have a lens in the range of 24-70 mm f/2.8. That will cost you around $2000.

Most people who ask me what they should get don't have $2000 to spend. Which is where my story will take a turn. Most people don't have that much money to spend on a camera let alone a lens. I do, but it is my profession. Generally the higher end companies have packages that will include a lens and a camera. DSLR cameras can cost $500 to $50,000. If you do not plan to become a professional camera, then most cheaper cameras will suffice as the quality today is great. This will only continue to get better.

Now, you are now asking me why everyone tells you to buy a great lens and cheaper camera. Why are they telling me something different? It happens to be that most people who ask this question don't have money to pay for the best lenses. I would put my effort in buying the best camera that fits you, before spending a lot on lenses. You can always add lenses later.

If you are professional, then you wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. You would have gone out and spent the money on that expensive lens. Ultimately, you know the better the glass, the better the outcome in sharpness, allowances in depth of field, less defects, better color, more light, and so on.

These are my tips. I hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment